N.I.C.E.

N.I.C.E.

Friday, December 18, 2015

Natural Hair In Review, 2015: Weave (Glue and Tracks), Creamy Crack and Wigs Are Being Left Behind

Happy Holiday Season naturalistas!
Sometimes I can't believe that I live in a reality where I felt the need to develop a website entitled Natural Is Cool Enough (N.I.C.E.) in an effort to be a part of what has come to be known as a natural hair movement. The fact that Black women are/were gluing and sewing hair into their scalps for a Eurocentric appearance is sadly understandable, given the history of slavery and ongoing racism that Black people experience for which the outcome of such is self-hatred. The weave, creamy crack and wig situation has become so extreme and intense that it prompted me to do something and say something. For the love of Black people, history, and posterity, when folks come to their senses, I just wanted to make sure that it is/was clear where I stand on this matter. So here is a link for an article that I wrote for Huffington Post that you don't want to miss (The above paragraph is the opening): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patti-r-rose/natural-hair-in-review-20_b_8806080
The conclusion of the article is: "So for the New Year (2016), I hope that the creamy crack, weaves (glue and tracks) and wigs will continue to be left behind for Black women. Also, departing from straightening combs, flat irons, and blow dryers will be an added move toward self-love, in terms of embracing natural hair. I continue to dream of a world, where for Black people, in terms of our hair, Natural IS Cool Enough." So check out the article at the link above. Within it, I have compiled a list of 10, recent, interesting pieces written about Black women (Taraji P, Henson, Victoria Secret's model Maria Borges, and beyond). You don't want to miss this!

No comments: