N.I.C.E.

N.I.C.E.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

TSA Pat Down of Natural Hair: Really?


     Do you Travel Often?  Do you wear your hair naturally? Apparently, if so, you may experience a " natural hair" pat down in the airport because it appears that TSA does not believe that Natural is Cool Enough!  Check out this story at the following link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/43668412#43668412

When I read this story, my first thought was that this is a perfect example of what I have written about in my book entitled Culturally Competency for Health Services Administration and Public Health http://www.jblearning.com/catalog/9780763761646/ , where I discuss the notion of  cultural incompetency

In my new book, that I am completing now, this is discussed further (as written by one of my Contributing Authors) through additional explanations of cultural and racial indignities, per the use of the term racial microaggressions which “are brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioral, and environmental indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative racial slights and insults to the target person or group” (see source for this quote below).

     As one who enjoys traveling this world, which includes many treks to the airport, as a lock wearing sister, will I now have to look forward to a pat down of my hair, as a security measure, due to the fact that I choose to wear it in its, glorious natural state?  Does one have to perm, process and "relax" her/his hair so that folks in the airport will be relaxed?  Does natural hair pose a threat?  Really? The answer to these questions is a resounding "NO" because there is no doubt that in every venue and in every space and place, Natural Is Cool Enough! 

Source for quote above:

Sue, D.W., Capodilupo, C.M., Torino, G.C., Bucceri, J.M., Holder, A.M.B., Nadal, K.L., &

Esquilin, M. (2007). Racial microaggressions in everyday life: Implications for clinical practice. American Psychologist, 62(4), 271-286.

No comments: