N.I.C.E.

N.I.C.E.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Little Sister, Natural Is Cool Enough!

When I read this story http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/04/tulsa-school-sends-girl-home-because-dreadlocks-and-afros-are-too-distracting/ as a lock wearing sister, my initial impression was outrage.  To see a child in tears because she has chosen to wear her hair naturally, as sanctioned by her father, and her school finds doing so unacceptable is beyond ridiculous. But on a deeper level, I find the matter to be painful because this is a true indication of the depth of disdain that some have in society for the beauty of the natural appearance of people of African descent, which may surface within and outside of the Black race and amongst other groups.  Imagine a person, particularly a child, being told that her natural hair is a distraction!  So, because the situation is so completely ludicrous, I am not going to give it too much credence or time.  I simply want to express, on behalf of the little girl who is sadly exhibiting how hurt she is in the video accompanying the story because people do not understand the beauty of her natural hair, that she must know that Natural Is Cool Enough.  Hopefully, she will not be led to believe otherwise and praise to the new school that she is attending now who accepted her just as she is.  That is a true understanding and indication to this beautiful little girl that anywhere, anytime and any place, little sister, Natural Is Cool Enough...N.I.C.E.!


No comments: