N.I.C.E.

N.I.C.E.

Thursday, October 2, 2014

"Blackish" was very "Nappy/Nappish" for Episode II: So Natural IS Cool Enough on Network T.V.!

Last week when I watched "Blackish," I expressed enthusiasm about the fact that Tracee Ellis Ross was adorning her natural curls for all to see.  She did not disappoint on this Wednesday night by continuing the same beautiful presentation of her lovely tresses.  Previously, I had expressed some concern about the little girls and how their hair was deeply pressed and straight but that was definitely not the case this time around. Both girls were naturally free! The older daughter's hair was beautifully curly and the little girl, based on the story line, made reference to the fact that her mom had not combed her hair (towards the end of the show) so hers was just all over her head in a carefree way, so I guess we could say in her case, it was "nappish". The untamed, wild hairdo said "no" to the straight, every hair in place mentality, which was just wonderful! Some time ago,  I wrote a piece about this entitled "To Tame or Not to Tame: That Is the Question, (http://naturaliscoolenough.blogspot.com/2011_11_01_archive.htmlz)  and I am an advocate for allowing natural hair to be free.   Even Anthony Anderson showed the naps on his chest!  It is just delightful to watch this Black family on screen, on one of the major networks, visually affirming, through their beautiful hair, that Natural Is Cool Enough while simultaneously providing glimpses into the home of a Black family. Blackish, we appreciate that you are Nappy/Nappish!  Definitely N.I.C.E.!


No comments: