N.I.C.E.

N.I.C.E.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Is Natural Cool Enough for Black Professionals?: As A Key Area of Focus for N.I.C.E at the Florida International University (FIU) Black Professional Summit, the Answer is Definitively Yes!

On Saturday, I attended a Black Professional Summit.  I was a Panelist on an amazing Panel entitled, "What If We Were United?" and I also had a vending space where N.I.C.E. T-shirts were sold, with 10% of every purchase going to homeless organizations" and I offered my books Cultural Competency for the Health Professional (http://www.jblearning.com/catalog/9781449672126/ and Cultural Competency for Health Administration and Public Health (http://www.jblearning.com/catalog/9780763761646/) and other jewelry/craft items that I have gathered from around the world.  The Summit was well-attended (sold-out) and the attendees were excited and eager to learn about all of the various topics offered.  The Summit also had a photographer there to take Professional head shots which I thought was a great idea and I definitely took advantage of that! There was also a business Etiquette presenter and a host of other interesting and important workshops/sessions.  All of this was organized, primarily, by one young, Black woman, Kenasha Paul, a Law Student at Nova Southeastern University and the head of the Black Alumni Association at FIU, and she was sure to thank everyone who helped her in the process.  It was my first time meeting this young lady and I have to say I was impressed with her poise, calm demeanor and happy smiles throughout the day as it was clear that putting together this event was no small process.
The Natural Is Cool Enough and Rose Consulting Table all set up and ready to go!


The N.I.C.E. T-shirt!  10% of all proceeds go to Homeless Organizations.  If you would like to acquire one or more just let me know in the comments section of this post and I'll be in touch!
Two of my books:  Topic: Cultural Competency!

I am pleased to say that Natural Is Cool Enough (N.I.C.E.) was front and center at this event.  I had a great deal of dialogue with young women who were at various stages of the natural hair process.




Some had experienced the big chop, others were transitioning from perm to natural hair, some were wearing locks, braids or braided extensions.  Many were were full fledged short to long term naturalistas!  There was rarely a quiet moment at the table, where I showcased the new, light blue v and crew neck t-shirts, that I will take with me to share in NYC at my presentation entitled "Getting Down to the Roots" at Columbia University soon.  Subsequently, the t-shirt, in that color, like all of the other prior colors (lavender, white, red and yellow, will be retired in the U.S.) as I move on to the next color and style.  I am so proud that Natural Is Cool Enough (N.I.C.E.) is a part of this beautifully conscious movement that Black women and men are making towards their natural hair, especially as they begin to or have entered the work world because no matter where we are or what we are doing, socially and professionally, Natural IS Cool Enough.  That's N.I.C.E.!

More Florida International University Black Professional Summit Photos




Kenasha Paul, Organizer of the FIU Black Professional Summit

Panel on "What If We Were United?"


One on One Dialogue after the Panel

A Naturalista, Listening In!





No comments: