N.I.C.E.

N.I.C.E.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

In The Spirit of Umoja (UNITY), N.I.C.E. Salutes CMM!

On occasion, N.I.C.E. salutes a Naturalista, and does so today in the spirit of UMOJA (Unity) as is the first day of Kwanzaa.  Often times, we are led to believe that with natural hair/locks, one's appearance is not Professional.  Personally, I know this is not true because I have worn my locks as a President of my own firm, as a President of a Health Corporation, as Vice President of a Health Corporation, as a University Faculty member and in other roles as well.  It is clear to me that intelligence is in my mind and not in the locks of my hair.  To wear your hair as it grows out of your scalp, naturally, is not an indication of an inability to be wise, intelligent or "professional" or to share the knowledge that you have acquired intelligently, but perhaps an a way of showing your strength, based on your willingness to be a "naturalista" in the mainstream business world.  This is particularly true in terms of the world of finance where knowledge is somewhat esoteric and a certain "business" demeanor is essential.  Hence,  N.I.C.E. salutes Connie Morris-Moore in the spirit of Unity as explained below:

http://www.cmmfinancial.com/

I have known Connie Morris-Moore (then Connie Morris) since grade school and as life would have it, our paths have not crossed in years.  Through Facebook, we reconnected and surprisingly and wonderfully, I was pleased to learn that we are both locked naturalistas!  As I reflect on the first day of Kwanzaa today, which is Unity (UMOJA), defined as striving for and maintaining unity in the family, community, nation and race, I find it befitting to discuss this connection that is exemplified through our hair.  As a professional, there is unity in seeing another sister wearing her locks with grace and courage while taking care of business.  As I look at Connie's website (indicated above), I feel pride in seeing her taking care of business with her locks flowing down her back.  As is is often said, a picture is worth a thousand words and indeed the one above is.  On her website,  Connie represents family (knowing that she is a mother), community (serving as a business person), nation (as a Black/African American woman with pride contributing to economic stability through entrepreneurism) and race ( as a Black/African American woman courageously being who she is with her hair flowing as it grows from her scalp...naturally).

So, Connie Morris-Moore, along with many other women of African descent, who have shown the courage to express that Natural Is Cool Enough, N.I.C.E., once again offers a salute, and this time has selected you,in the spirit of U.N.I.T.Y (UMOJA)!
Happy Kwanzaa to all! 

No comments: