N.I.C.E.

N.I.C.E.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Knowing Better and Doing Better and Natural Hair

This morning, I was thinking about whether knowing better actually leads to doing better.   Recently, I watched the film, Food Inc. which is all about the food industry and why it is important to know what we are eating, so that we can eat better  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqQVll-MP3I.
This moved me further on my quest to eat healthy food.  Then, I watched the film Earthlings, which as its ad says, "makes Food Inc. seem like a Disney film" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E-LxTVENqQ.  I was deeply touched by this film and further moved to make my already healthy diet even better. Now, in terms of my household, I have gone completely organic and when I eat out, I try to make the best choices possible.  I also swim each week to make sure I exercise and I keep my hair in its natural state, in the form of locs.  When I learned that perms are absolutely not the best option for my hair, due to the chemicals and the impact on my wallet as well as the illustrious history of the natural hair of Black women, I moved to locks after "the big chop" to get rid of all  perm in my hair, then braids, and finally locs which I have now had for 19 years.  I thank Maya Angelou for her quote:



"When you know better, you do better" because that enables me to avoid looking back with feelings of guilt about any aspect of my life in the past and to get in the present with what I know now and what I am learning  and continuously do better.  The more I learn the better I will be.  Therefore, now that I know about the beauty of my hair in its natural state, for me, N.I.C.E.

No comments: