N.I.C.E.

N.I.C.E.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Strike a Pose!

Today, my daughter was about to leave the house to go shopping and I said to her, "your hair is fabulous..let's take a picture of it for my blog."  It was quite a moment because for many years hair has been such a topic of discussion for me and my daughter.  When she was a child, I kept her long, beautiful hair absolutely natural.  Basically, her style was wash and go and cute twists and braided styles.  As she grew older, succumbing to peer pressure and the desire to conform to the hairstyles of her classmates, she decided she wanted a perm.  I closed my eyes, expressed my opinion against it and let her go and explore.  During college and grad school she progressed to braids and twists (extensions added by me on her visits home and sometimes by a braiding salon).  When she returned home from grad school, I remained a hard core naturalista with my locks continually growing as a true expression of me. I am committed to remaining natural. In any event, my daughter had taken out her braids and was in the "I don't know what to do with my hair now" scenario.  Her ultimate decision, after a lot of dialogue, was to go completely natural...to wear her beautiful hair, naturally, as it grows out of her scalp.  It is so absolutely beautiful and really helps to radiate the true essence of her. As she is about to leave home and go off  to serve as a Teacher for Teach for America, she is doing so as a true, fabulously beautiful, intelligent, naturalista. This post is a celebration of my daughter Courtney's  natural hair, in all of it's beauty, coils, and curls.  Truly N.I.C.E.!


No comments: