N.I.C.E.

N.I.C.E.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Standing in the Shadows of Greatness

Today, I am excited because my publisher sent a blog post to me, highlighting my new book and emphasizing an interview that I conducted with Dr. Donna Shalala, former Secretary of Health and Human Services so I share this with you, readers of N.I.C.E.  It was an excellent experience interviewing this formidable woman because as I was doing so, based on her life accomplishments, I knew I was standing in the shadows of an incredibly accomplished woman. So for me, it was a proud moment, that I pleased to share with you.
http://blogs.jblearning.com/health/2012/06/15/new-cultural-competency-text-with-an-interview-with-former-hhs-secretary/#more-816

Then, two nights ago, I had the opportunity to attend a private dinner for Dr. Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot, followed by her book talk at the fabulous book store, Books and Books in Coral Gables, Florida, where I will also speak about my book on October 10, 2012.

Dr. Sara Lawrence Light-Foot at Books and Books in Coral Gables
As I sat with Dr. Lightfoot and a small gathering a friends, my husband and son at dinner, I realized that this was indeed a moment to cherish. I listened to her wisdom, I asked her questions about her writing (she has written 10 books) and I observed her grace and style.  I noticed her beautiful, culturally vibrant attire, her soft spoken but powerful words and her beautiful, neatly coiffed NATURAL hair, graying beautifully around her temples and simply pulled back with delicate combs.  I realized after I listened to her share stories, that this woman, who has served at the Harvard Graduate School of Education for 40 years is providing me with another moment to stand in the shadow of greatness. I felt connected to her as a writer and as one who educates and because culture is such a significant aspect of  what I do, I connected with her, culturally, as she too is an African American woman.  I think there is truly something to be said about being naturally you.  It's powerful, it's intense and it is truly greatness!  So once again, I take the position that Natural IS Cool Enough and as always, that is N.I.C.E.  Below is a wonderful interview that Bill Moyers conducted with Dr. Lightfoot, which I found delightful.  Listen and enjoy!

No comments: